Hello to Everyone from a Newbie in Shropshire, England

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shedhead, Oct 30, 2011.

1. shedhead

shedhead New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    Wow! Found this site a few days ago and have already learnt so much about our fluffy friends. So have taken the plunge and joined you all.

I live in a rural part of England and am pretty new to all of this chicken lark. Started earlier this year when my husband bought me 6 little quails although I only have three now unfortunately (darn those ndn dogs!). They started laying eggs in their superduper aviary and I was very popular with my friends because nobody keeps quails around here - its more a big hen place. All fired up with my lovely quails I bought an incubator and hatched 3 silkies (which are not apparently 'proper' chickens).

I am now a total convert, they are so sweet and have loads of character. Unfortunately, they are just about 18 weeks old now and it looks like I have 2 cocks and one hen. We have a bit of squabbling just starting but they have a free ranging day in our back garden and at night they all seem to cuddle up together. I know I may probably have to get rid of one but am so hoping they can get along as they all grew up together. I am going to try and hatch some more silky eggs so I can at least have more hens. And I do know I am going to have to address the situation at some stage, just not yet please!

We also have 3 spaniels (who would eat the quails in a heartbeat but sit quite happily with the silkies) and two long haired guinea pigs.

Love all the information on this site and am so glad I found it.

2. Sudsy Chick

Sudsy Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

Watch out - chickens are addicting [​IMG] Especially when you start hatching eggs! [​IMG]

Silkies are supposed to be very good mothers - you may be able to get your hen to hatch for you next spring! [​IMG]

3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    [​IMG] from South Carolina..

4. kaom

kaom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    St Albans UK
    hello from St Albans UK [​IMG]

5. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Welcome from NW Ohio! Enjoy your chickens!

6. cathnmike

cathnmike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    Hi from an ex-UKer - but always a Scouser- who is also new to this site. [​IMG] You're way ahead of me on the chicken front, though!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] yes you came to the right place, great people with great advise!!! Glad you joined!

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG] Welcome!!! I hope you enjoy this webiste as much as I have! [​IMG]

10. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Hello from cape cod! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by