Hello to everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ms Lupine, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ms Lupine

Ms Lupine New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Hi there I am 25 years old and have had chickens since i was a little kid. I now live in qualicum beach on vancouver island and have recently started raising birds again. I have about 16 birds total right now. half of which are all under 4 months old. I recently decided to hatch some of my chickens eggs in a still air incubator. Our first hatch was only one little baby about 10 days ago. I didnt candle any of them and was just seeing how it went. I did the same back when i was younger with a good amount of success. I am concerned about my little girl who hatched though and found some good information on this site. so I decided to join it and see if anyone has any ideas on how to help me out. Peeps (my little chick) hatched about 10 days ago and imprinted on me. I have been a very concerned mother since then. She will only eat food that I have gotten wet and wont drink water. I make her new food every morning adding warm water to chick starter. At first I had to hand feed her compleatly but she has now figured out to eat from her little dish that i have for her. I trick her into drinking water by making the food have extra water in it. She has gotten her first wing feathers and has started to grow but seems compleatly useless (chick wise) she wont go near any of the other baby chickens and has her own box with a bed and her food/water mix. Has anyone seen the same behavior in raising their own chicks? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

If you have this situation again, the best thing to do is get the newly hatched chick a few other chicks for buddies. You still may ba able to get her a few, but they should be her size or a little smaller. A group of at least 3 is better than just 2. Good luck!

3. Ms Lupine

Ms Lupine New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    i have other chicks and she just sits in a corner hiding from them... maybe im over mothering her. im mostly concerned that she wont drink water and maybe how often i should be feeding her since she only eats when i offer her food.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. If they are not hurting her, I would leave them together, maybe they can teach her. :thumbsup

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by