Hello~! We are OFFICIALLY a chicken owning family! Post your best tip?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ll, May 18, 2011.

1. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! I have been browsing and posting on this site for a bit, learning and sharing the information that I have picked up along the way.
    As of last night (Thank you Jimmy!) we are officially a chicken owning family.
    Four little baby orpingtons - 2 buff and 2 black ... so very cute.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We have them in a 40 gallon breeder size aquarium (deeper than a regular tank) with hardware cloth on the top and a red lamp hanging from a reptile light stand. They are eating and drinking their water and peeping away.

My daughter is 3 and she is washing her hands faithfully and thoroughly after contact.

One question: how long can a dish of baby chick food/dust stay out before it gets stale or needs to be changed?
    (aside from the food getting dirty, they aren't pooping in it -yet-)

Feel free to post your best tips for us, wishes of good luck are welcome too! [​IMG]

I have photos (I read how much you like them, and I enjoy them too!) and will post them when my DH gets home because they are on his pc.
    If you don't see photos on this thread post a reminder in case I get caught up in staring at the babies for endless hours [​IMG]

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Welcome!

I don't have the answer to your question, as mine have always eaten it before the problem arises. [​IMG]

Number one tip: Hmmm.... Keep getting Buff Orps! [​IMG] Just kidding. Those are my favorites. Number one tip would be to ALWAYS know the age BEFORE you buy. [​IMG]
    Enjoy the site!

3. ll

Thank you! (ha I luv Orps too)
    Interesting tip!
    Two are 3 days (same hatch) and one is 10 days and one is maybe 5 days -
    quite the mix, eh? So we are providing temperatures appropriate for under one week and when the older one pants she gets up and moves a bit away from the direct heat of the lamp.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    They'll start really pounding the food at about a week. Until then, just make sure it's clean and it can sit however long.

If you need any hints, my BYC page is full of them!
    [​IMG]

5. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    [​IMG]

My chicks gobble that food down in no time. I sometimes have to fill it twice a day!!

Best tip: Learn chicken math and learn it well. Look for the courses on here. They go all the way up to chicken calculus I think!!!!! [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. ll

Thank you thank you thank you!

Chicken calculus!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

chook - I love how full of pages your page is, wow @ the info - tyvm!

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG]
    Best tip from Tanichca: I have two!
    1: Snuugle, hold, and mollycoddle those chicks into oblivion, they will adore you forever!
    2: Beware the Imp! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by