1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ktrexel, Mar 24, 2016.

1. ktrexel

ktrexel New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    I'm for Pa. We are just starting our new flock. We ordered one Silver Wyandotte, 2 buff orpingtons, 1 RI red, and 2 Black Australorp. all hens. We have 4 black sexlink roosters we just got (we may use one as the flock rooster, I don't know much about their breed) the rest just for meat. We will be able to pick up our chicks at a local poultry farm April 20th! pretty excited to start this!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    :welcome

Sounds like you have pretty good breeds there. Just watch your rooster/hen ratio. I think a good ratio is 10 hens to 1 rooster.....so, you need more hens! (Oh, and welcome to chicken math!)

3. ktrexel

ktrexel New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    so 6 to 1 isn't good?

4. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A rooster can handle 10 hens, less and the girls get overbred . If you don't plan on needing "fertile" eggs for hatching or to sell as hatching eggs, the girls would be very happy without a rooster harassing them. Hens will still lay the same amount of eggs - they just wouldn't be fertile eggs.

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

CT

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by