1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by helen51, Apr 18, 2016.

1. helen51

helen51 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    just found this web site. been looking to raise chickens for a while. looking for all the help I can get. want to have only about 3 (to keep under the wire for code enforcement in my area)any info from anyone is greatly appreciated

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  3. CookieChicken03

CookieChicken03 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hurray! Chickens are a great to have and I am sure that you will love having them! 3 is good, but no less. Chickens are very social creatures that need other chickens so they can establish a "pecking order." The pecking order is something you need to be wary of when they are older, because you could see your chickens pecking at each other from time to time because they are working out their social order.

When building or securing your coop, you need to have chicken wire on the bottom of the coop. Raccoons and foxes can dig under and get through.

One mistake that we made when we got chickens was when we put the out in the coop for the first time. We didn't know they had to go in the box and 2 of them ended up being killed. I would suggest putting chicken wire over the door of the hen house that goes out to the run. Then, at night, put them in the box, and then in the morning, take them out and put them in the run. This way, when you take away the chicken wire, they will know to go in at night. But of course do not put them out there until they are around 2 months old and they are bigger and fully/mostly feathered.

Hope this helps! Good luck! [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Since you are limited by regulations as to the number of chickens you can have, it might be an idea to purchase pullets that are 4-5 months old. You'll get eggs faster, know for sure that they are all girls and the learning curve of keeping chickens is less acute than if you choose to get young chicks.

All the best
    CT

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already, check out the Learning Center. It's full of helpful, interesting articles on all sorts of poultry topics.

Thanks for joining us!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Helen. Have you ever considered house chickens, they make great pets. Something calm and gentle like cochins, or bantam breeds could work well for you.

Please check out "people with house chickens," thread and see for yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by