1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by acarr777, May 27, 2016.

1. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    I am a new member. I am a teacher in NC. I teach a self contained special education classroom with 9 wonderful boys diagnosed with Autism. This year we had a hands on Science unit by introducing the life cycle of a chicken. I wrote a grant to pay for the incubator and egg turner and we hatched chickens. Right now we have 2 that are about 1 1/2 months old. We had a small number of eggs that hatched so our farm sent us another 3 dozen to try again. My children have fallen in love with them and have fond memories of, "Emma" , the chicken my parents had in their backyard in NY. SOOOOOO I am now trying to get my HOA to allow us to take the first 2 home providing they are both hens. The new batch should arrive next week around Wednesday. We are excited to see this miracle again. (hopefully with a better or larger outcome)

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Incubating and hatching sure is lots of fun and fantastic for kids to see the how life works. This article is an absolute bible on incubating and hatching ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    There is also a fantastic link in there to the incubating with friends thread where other members can really help you out.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your future hatching. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    School was never fun like that when I was a kid. [​IMG] Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    I try to do as many hands on activities in the classroom as possible. I teach 9 boys diagnosed with Autism. They learn best that way. We also have a service dog that lives with me and comes to the classroom daily. So far we have done the life cycle of the butterfly, ladybug, and chicken. I am thinking of doing newts and frogs for next year. I love teaching children with Autism because it forces you to see the world in a different way and you learn something new every day.

8. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Welcome to BYC! What great activities to do in the classroom. As a kid, there's nothing cuter than seeing a little fluff ball hatch! :)
    henny1129

9. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by