1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marc S, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Marc S

Marc S Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Southern California
    Hi all, I've been looking at this websire for a while and thought I'd join. I'm new to raising chickens and recently got 3 chicks. A silver laced a blue laced, and a lavender Orpington. They are about a week old. The blue seems to always be alone and chirps non stop. I'm wondering if this is normal. She seems a bit younger than the other 2. I'm also wondering if 3 chicks is the problem? Shes very needy and only relaxes when we hold her. We love that she is like that and hold her as much as we can. Any advise?[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Marc S

Marc S Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Southern California
    [​IMG] all 3 together

3. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    it is natural to have a loud chick every so often. My 2 fav chickens--Sugarpuff (a boy. Ironic right?) and Hattie (a girl who is currently sick.)
    but welcome to BYC!

4. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    but by the way...if you would like to read more about Hattie and her sickness please read my thread "My Hen Has A White Tongue!"

5. Marc S

Marc S Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Southern California
    Thank you for the reply... sorry you have a sick chicken

6. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    it is fine. She is getting better every day. She is a white crested black polish. A beauty too. I am currently treating her with water mixed with apple cider vinegar.(she hates it.)It clears out the throat and helps the digestive system, as well as helping many other issues.

7. Marc S

Marc S Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Southern California
    What a bummer... poor thing! I'm sure you're taking great care of her though.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do the other two chicks bully her ? Is she eating, drinking and pooping okay? Have you checked her for pasty butt? Sometimes you just get a chick that is a "squeaky wheel," that has found out every squeak gets attention. Or she may be too hot or too cold.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    In your photo it appears the middle chick is being pushed away from the feeder - if it happens often you end up with one small chick and the others bigger and more robust. You may need extra feeders & water bowls to they all have a chance to fill up.

10. Marc S

Marc S Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Southern California
    Great questions... no pastey butt, not really getting bullied,maybe they do a little but they are all about the same age. She eats and drinks and I've started putting a little water in her food. She seems to like that. I've got her on my chest with a blanket right now and she's totally content and sleeping. She's amazingly sweet.... this is my first time with chicks.so I'm a little nervous and don't want to make mistakes. My girlfriend and i have been studying them for months before we got them. We've had them 3 days now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by