Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aim0474, Aug 23, 2016.

1. aim0474

aim0474 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I am Aimee and live in the Denver metro area. We just got chicks this weekend, after getting a free coop a couple of weeks ago. I spent time cleaning and painting the coop and doing lots of reading before finding a local place for chicks. We got the chicks on Saturday. I am hooked!

We originally got 4 chicks but lost one on Monday. She was acting funny the night before so I suspected it was going to happen. The 3 we have left are

RIR named Mavis, and Americuana named Holly and a Golden Comet named Nugget. Nugget is the smallest and youngest of the 3, she is just getting her wing feathers today. Mavis is he oldest by at least a week, she is trying to fly.

They are in a home made brooder in my garage right now. Once they get big enough they will have a nice coop near my greenhouse with a fairly large run 2 ft by 10 ft and an extra area for a dust bath directly under a grape vine that grows over from the neighbors side of the fence. I just made grape jelly from the grapes this weekend!

I do live in the burbs with a fairly normal sized yard. I grow quite a bit of food out here, mostly vertical and in pots. My own version of surburban homesteading.

I wanted to say high and thank you all for the info that is found here!

Aimee

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Aimee and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. rrand5

rrand5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Hi Aimee :) welcome!!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Aimee, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community. Best of luck to you and your chicks!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Aimee, Welcome to Backyard chickens

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi Aimee, welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

7. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Hi Aimee, glad to have you join us. Sounds like your chickens will be very happy.

8. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    :welcome
    I hope you settle in very well

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. ALY1313

ALY1313 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Nice to meet you Amy!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by