Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TDurden, Aug 27, 2016.

1. TDurden

TDurden New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Hey everyone. I've had my chickens for a little over a year now. My flock consists of 1 americauna, 1 brown leghorn, 1 golden laced wyndote, 1 Delaware and 1 French black copper Moran. I was hoping to get a variety of egg colors but it turns out my purebred americauna isn't so purebred so I get one white and varying shades of brown. Oh well, they all taste good anyways.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas and :welcome. Happy to have you in our community. Best wishes to you and your fowl!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. TDurden

TDurden New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Thanks guys, glad to be here. If anyone has any experience with protein deficiencies and feather pulling please help me out on my other thread "Missing feathers" in Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures.

Thanks again!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to BYC. Are your birds just pulling feathers or actually eating them? If they are eating them you can try increasing the protein in their food.

Some folks add cat food (high in salt tho :( ), sardines, or even feeding the egg yolks back to them disguised in food, so they don't begin egg eating.

They may also be bored and would benefit from some chicken toys, head of cabbage hung just out of reach so they have to jump for it, parrot toys,

Kong toys with goodies packed in. chicken swing, Real tree branches they can roost on outdoors and explore, etc.

7. TDurden

TDurden New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    They were eating them so I changed their food to one with 18% protein. Now they're just pulling them out and not eating them.

Good idea about them being bored. I'll see what I can set up in there to keep them occupied.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by