hello :-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shellchickshock, Dec 2, 2016.

1. shellchickshock

shellchickshock New Egg

Dec 2, 2016
    Hello, I'm new
    I'm just wondering if someone can help me. Is it illegal to dye chickens? (I'm NOT doing this by the way, totally immoral!)
    Thanks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

No, it's not illegal. In fact there are not a whole lot of laws at all protecting poultry. Dyeing certainly is low on the list of cruelties committed against chickens.

Mind that not all dyeing is harmful to the birds. The feed stores that dye baby chicks as some kind of a sales gimmick are indeed in the wrong; however some folks use harmless food dye to color their adult birds, such as White Silkies, simply for fun. I've done it myself and it doesn't hurt the birds; it sure does get a laugh from everyone though!

3. shellchickshock

shellchickshock New Egg

Dec 2, 2016
    Thank you for your reply! I saw some today and was concerned but if no laws have been broken I will chil out :) xx

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Great info there by @QueenMisha ! I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under shellchickshock [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

10. shellchickshock

shellchickshock New Egg

Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks for all your messages. I only own 2 chickens myself but I'm sure this site will be very helpful :) x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by