1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MageofMist, Dec 9, 2016.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Hello! I am Mage of Mist and I am a hobbyist quail and diamond dove keeper! In my profile pic you can see two of my five birds, Romeo the Diamond Dove (who is female, but I didn't know that til after I named her) and Rex the King Quail.

I have been lurking the forums for a while reading advice and finally decided to join in! I saw that yogurt was good for them, so I provided some with blueberries and mealworms and the quails loved it! Rex even got some on his face! The doves, like always, acted aloof though. [​IMG] They are only interested in seeds and grit.
    [​IMG]

I have been wondering though, is Rex a Double Blue Faced? I have seen pictures of them and they look a lot like him, but I haven't seen one with white wing feathers like he has. He was from a pet store unlike the hens who are from a breeder, which I think is why he is missing a few toes due to his living conditions before being sent to the store.
    [​IMG]
    The guy we got the two hens from seen him and commented on his interesting colour and said we may get silvers from them, so I am quite interested if that may be the case! One of the hens has already setted on the eggs, which are in a box instead of a corner now, but I am not sure if they are fertilized or not.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    [​IMG]
    I haven't yet gotten into quail so I don't know the answer But interested in hearing it

3. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Thank you! I got quails since I wasn't allowed to keep chickens, though quails are a bit of a loophole. I wasn't disappointed though as these birds have been always on the move getting into all sorts of funny antics. One time I walked in after brewing a coffee and happened to walk in on two of the quails mating... Rex and Speckles froze, staring at me before awkwardly moving away as if nothing happened. It really made my morning!

Another time Speckles was play-chasing and play-being-chased when she jumped up and landed on the male dove, Lulu's, back... Both froze with the dove silent while Speckles was doing distress peeps, before Lulu flapped his wings and sent her back to the ground. Neither were harmed and the doves and quails still get along even after the surprise.

And the drama that unfolded whenever Fluffy, the broody quail hen, saw Rex cuddling with Romeo the dove when she was resting on the fresh hay I put in... She was NOT happy he was cuddling with some random dove and not her. [​IMG]

There is just never a dull moment with these birds!

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Thank you for the welcome and the links! And indeed they are very entertaining to watch. [​IMG] And they make the cutest sounds ever, king quails are basically feathery guinea pigs!

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    "Feathery guinea pigs", LOL, that paints quite a picture!

7. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Once I was in voice chat on Discord, my quails started crowing, which set off someone's pet guinea pigs, that caused my quails to crow more! [​IMG] For a good 5 minutes all people could hear was squeaks and eeps. Which made me start calling them feathery guinea pigs as well as the fact they make guinea pig-like squeaks at times when cheeping to one-another.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MageofMist [​IMG] Welcome!

Love the “feathery guinea pigs” [​IMG] I have a “feathered beach ball” ... She is my little, fat, round hen who bounces around the place.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    D'awww! The "feathered beach ball" sounds so adorable and huggable! [​IMG] And thank you for the welcome, I have been enjoying the BYC forums so far, and have been lurking about for a while before finally deciding to join in on the fun!

Expect lots of pics from me, as when I see my pets being cute, I HAVE to get it on camera. Like this moment with Rex and Speckles, two of my three quails, cuddling together.
    [​IMG]
    Too adorable! I wish I could join in the cuddles, but they'd think I was trying to eat them! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by