Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenkitty30, Feb 12, 2017.

1. jenkitty30

jenkitty30 Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Hello, I'm new here, but have been reading the forums for a few years. We have chickens and Khaki Campbell ducks. We recently had a 100% successful hatch of 6 Khaki Campbell's the day after Christmas. Our female was killed after an owl got into the coop and she either was attacked by the owl or trampled by chickens, not sure which. So we took the last 6 of her freshest eggs. The babies are now 7 weeks old and doing great!
    We recently set 7 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs, one was infertile and one died within the first week of incubation. The remaining five have made it to the end! Three hatched yesterday (on day 23) and one hatched first thing this morning. The babies are doing great. The last egg has not pipped yet, so when I removed the last baby from the incubator, I quickly candled the egg and the chick has internally pipped and moving. I don't want to intervene since it's still alive and working hard but am getting worried since it's day 24. How long should we wait, if we decide to make an air hole? I don't like taking it out of the incubator, and only want to do so if necessary. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
  3. jenkitty30

jenkitty30 Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Thank you!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jenkitty, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I concur with the advice of RodNTN - the folks in the Incubating & Hatching Forum are great resources. Best wishes, thanks for joining BYC, and have a successful hatch! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the last one will be fine. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. jenkitty30

jenkitty30 Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Thank you!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jenkitty30 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss but congratulations on the ducklings.

RodNTN has given you a good link with regards to your Wyandotte eggs.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope your last egg hatches ok!

9. jenkitty30

jenkitty30 Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Unfortunately, it passed away sometime last night. When we opened it, it had a deformity. [​IMG]
    But out of 6 fertile eggs, we got 4 healthy chicks bouncing around. Not too bad for a first chicken hatch!

10. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    4 out of 6 is a good hatch rate from what I've read about. Not bad at all, congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by