Hello! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlynaD, Mar 4, 2017.

1. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    So I have been a member for a few months but not posted anything because I didn't have anything to post until today. We have a feed store here that does a deal where you buy a 25 pound bag of feed and you get 5 baby chicks with it. SO I bought two bags and then we also bought some extra chicks so I am now the proud owner of 15 baby chicks.

Only one issue..... 10 of the chicks we got are random birds no idea what breed or cross of breeds they are so I am hoping that some of you lovely folks can help me identify them. I have 5 turken naked neck chicks but no idea about the others any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

[​IMG]

2. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    [​IMG] They all look so cute, think it is a bit early to identify them - not good at posting threads (have to learn howto do it) but if you search what gender or breed you may find an answer. Lots of luck with all those babies..

3. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    Thanks! I just hope I don't have too many roos in this group I am rasing them for eggs

4. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Actually I was going to say the same thing but for once stopped myself,didn't want to jinx you. I am sure you can take them back if you do, seems like it's a thing you can do in the US. Here we get stuck with what we get. Luckily I don't have to buy anymore, definitely have the chicken math going on.[​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    haha well the feed store we got them from ordered pullets so *fingers crossed* thats what I got but they say about 20% are misgendered initially at the hatchery.

and thanks for the link to the tread to identify just gonna have to wait a bit longer it seems

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! If this is your first time with chickens you might want to do some reading of the wonderful articles in the Learning Center here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center Lots and lots of really great articles - including on raising those baby chicks. Good luck and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

8. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    Thanks for the welcome RedSox I have done so much reading my family thinks I am obsessed but I like to be well informed. The articles here are great for beginners it really helped my confidence as this will be my first time with chickens and my only other epxerience with birds before has been Parakeets

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Actually it's better to post photos at 6-8 weeks of age, when chicks have feathered, at "what breed or gender is this." The older the chicks, the more reliable the assessment.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under AlynaD [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by