Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by frayedfeather8, Mar 9, 2017.

1. frayedfeather8

frayedfeather8 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Been visiting BYC for years and finally decided to create an account! I have is in chickens, geese, and guineas. Guineas are my fave!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hello, and welcome to BYC - so glad you've decided to take the plunge, create and account and join the flock!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think you are the very first poster to say "guineas are your favorite." But we let you join anyway - [​IMG] just kidding.

4. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Welcome!

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Nice assortment of birds. Thanks for joining us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, frayed feathers, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our poultry communities. I have a few renegade guineas patrolling my property. I like having them around but I have to admit I don't understand them. They make a lot of racket and there seems to be no reason. A nice addition to the farmyard, however. Thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under frayedfeather8 [​IMG] Welcome!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! This is THE place to be for anything and everything poultry related...
    Whether you're looking for help, info, insight, poultry breeders, ideas, or just friends, you've come to the right place!

Anyway, great to have ya here!

Make it a great day!

[​IMG]
    ~MW

9. frayedfeather8

Mar 9, 2017
    Thx!

10. frayedfeather8

Mar 9, 2017
    That is hilarious, Drumstick! I can sit and watch my birds for hoooooours! I work out of my home now so I can look out periodically throughout the day. If I didn't have to work, I would probably sit out all day long.

I have a little bantam rooster that is my little buddy. He sees me coming and runs out to greet me and flies up to my shoulder. His name is Abraham. He likes to walk around the yard that way! I also have a hen, she will be a year old on May 21, 2017. She has started to do the same thing, sit up on my shoulder! Her name is Ace, because she was the first egg to hatch out in the incubator. Most of my birds are mixed breed. I don't know what they are. When people ask, I respond "DND"....dis n dat.[​IMG] I have a couple of RIR hens, some barred rock, a couple of Leghorn and my DND's. Ace had her 1st chicks in January. 7 out of 8 eggs she was sitting on. Only 4 survived. I think 2 of the ones that died were guinea hybrids. I was so sad. One of them was the most beautiful gray chick I had ever seen...with extra long wings!

My guineas are super spoiled. They wait for me each morning to give them treats before they leave the yard to go out and forage. Their favorite is grapes..any kind. I cut them in quarters and throw them out a couple of times a day. The guineas leave early, around 7:15am. They return home for lunch and for a cool drink, usually between 11:30-1:00. Sometimes they leave again after lunch-and sometimes they don't. I guess it depends on how their morning forage went. On occasion, they run late and I call for them and they come running. I am in deep south Texas on only 2 acres. There are a few neighboring fields around me that they frequent. I don't like it, but they are happy. I always worry that a coyote or some other predator may get the best of them. I had a flock of guineas before, store bought. I only have 2 of the original flock left. The other 11, I hatched out in the incubator. I pulled the eggs from the neighbor's pasture. My guinea hen was laying in the cactus.
    I think that one of the reasons I love my guineas so much is because of their personalities. I have watched them grow and pair off. I love to sit and watch how the males protect their hens. It is fun to see them scare away anything that comes too close. I think that it is awesome to watch the way they group off when they forage but when they are threatened all the groups come together to protect each other. I also see that I have a male that seems to keep the entire flock in check! He is the last one to leave the yard, and the last one up in the tree at night. I call him, Moses. Moses will round up the flock when they are gone too long. If he notices anyone missing, he jumps the fence, runs across the pasture, rounds up the missing and brings them home. I think he is so awesome. His daddy used to do the same thing. I called his daddy my general. I know it was his daddy because I only had one gray, or powder blue, one, now I have 4! My general died a day after I released my current flock from their coop. I am guessing that he tried to protect the young ones and met his doom. Again, I was sad. I set traps and caught 5 BIG nasty, stinky, wild cats that met their doom soon after. He was an awesome bird! His hen grieved for about 2 months! She would roost alone in the tree that she and the general roosted in for months. It took that long before she joined the others. Now, they are one big happy family.

I will post pictures soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by