Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by krissiepooh, Mar 12, 2017.

1. krissiepooh

krissiepooh New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    I am new to raising chickens. I just got my first ones yesterday. I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea as to how old they are so I know when to switch up their food.[​IMG]

2. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    That's quite the mix! Speaking only from how my own babies have developed, it looks like a range from about a week (lil guy at the water with wing feathers) to 3ish weeks (wings and few back feathers), maybe even 4 on that barred one (feathers on sides and neck). It's probably going to be regular old chick starter until the onset of laying, so you have lots of time before any switching needs to happen.

3. krissiepooh

krissiepooh New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks. I was thinking the bigger ones were about 4 or 5 weeks based on what I have read. Yes it is quite the Hodge lodge of breeds. 5 different ones to be exact. 14 chicks total.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under krissiepooh [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some links to great starting points, I will just wish you and your little ones all the best. They are adorable!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with all your chicks, they are cute and you have a nice assortment!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please keep watch that the older/bigger ones do not start bullying the littles away from food and water. It's good to set up extra feed & water stations so they don't starve them out. Also watch for the older ones to start feather plucking the babies. You may have to separate them especially if the brooder becomes too small for them all.

They look like an interesting assortment. [​IMG]

8. krissiepooh

krissiepooh New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    :welcome

Good luck with all your chicks, they are cute and you have a nice assortment!
    [/quote
    Thank you [​IMG]

9. krissiepooh

krissiepooh New Egg

Mar 12, 2017

10. krissiepooh

krissiepooh New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks for the tips. So far so good. They seem to be mothering them right now but I will definitely keep an eye out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by