Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by haasle, Apr 12, 2017.

1. haasle

haasle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2017
    Hi I'm Kristine and I'm a new member here. I don't have chickens (yet) but I'm dying to get some!!! I have been doing some research - I bought a few books and have spoken to some friends who have chickens, but I have a few obstacles. One being: my husband! He has NO interest in raising chickens and does not support my latest, crazy idea to do so. Let me tell you a little about me - I am a mom of 3 boys, the youngest of which is 18 and in his senior year. My "nest" will soon be empty if he leaves home. I am interested in new hobbies and I'm so obsessed with chickens and ducks. I also run a daycare...I live in the suburbs and my backyard has a built in pool, which takes up much of the back yard. My husand has already expressed that chickens will NOT go in the pool yard. I have a small front yard with grass, and a fenced in play yard along the side of my house, for my daycare which is lined in river rock. I've been thinking of putting a chicken coop in the play yard (obviously fenced off so the kids do not have access) but I'm not sure if this would work. Are any of you chicken owners also daycare providers, or have children that share the space with the chickens? I have so many questions!! I was never really an animal person but I realize now that I do like animals, but I do NOT like them in my home...so that's why I think I may enjoy having chickens.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, haasle, and :welcome! Pleased you joined us! I can't really advise about space issues as I live out in the wide open spaces. Nor can I speak to mixing your daycare business with your chicken hobby. But I bet the kids would find them very interesting! Perhaps someone who has combined the two pursuits will chime in with some advice. Il. Also bet once you have some your hubby will come around to liking the idea! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :weee

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Kristine [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I too am not able to answer your questions but I did just want to wish you luck.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

4. haasle

Apr 12, 2017
    Thank you, I'm glad I found this website - i will be busy researching!

5. haasle

Apr 12, 2017
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Unless the chickens would have a large, fenced in and covered) run, they could very well drown in your pool. They cannot swim and wouldn't realize the danger. So a fenced in run would make your husband happier (??) with the arrangement. They would also need a connected coop, where they would sleep and spend time during inclement weather.

You may want to check out the Learning Center above - which is a great start for a chicken education. You may also want to check out various breeds of chicken.

7. haasle

Apr 12, 2017
    Thanks for the reply! We definately have both agreed that the chickens will not be in the back yard with the pool...he has agreed that I can have them in my play yard used for the daycare. I am looking at coops with fences around them. I will definitely be checking out the learning center. :)

8. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG]Hi there Kristine and [​IMG]! We are glad you could join our BYC flock.

That's so cool that you own a daycare! I remember the preschool I went to years ago was at a house, and they raised baby chicks in the spring. Boy did we look forward to every time we could see the baby chicks! They kept the chicks in the garage away from the preschool downstairs so we could only get to them if allowed to. My preschool teacher raising and owning chickens was probably one of the most memorable experiences in my preschool year. I loved those little guys so much and I credit part of that to my owning chickens today!

So maybe you could do something like that? I know preschool and daycare are completely different, but I think the kids you take care of would absolutely love it! It might even be the thing they look forward to most - and the thing that gets them into chickening when they are grown. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Fingers crossed on convincing him and good luck!

9. haasle

Apr 12, 2017
    [​IMG] Hi there Kristine and [​IMG] ! We are glad you could join our BYC flock.
    That's so cool that you own a daycare! I remember the preschool I went to years ago was at a house, and they raised baby chicks in the spring. Boy did we look forward to every time we could see the baby chicks! They kept the chicks in the garage away from the preschool downstairs so we could only get to them if allowed to. My preschool teacher raising and owning chickens was probably one of the most memorable experiences in my preschool year. I loved those little guys so much and I credit part of that to my owning chickens today!
    So maybe you could do something like that? I know preschool and daycare are completely different, but I think the kids you take care of would absolutely love it! It might even be the thing they look forward to most - and the thing that gets them into chickening when they are grown. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Fingers crossed on convincing him and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by