Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sarahbalcombe, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Sarahbalcombe

Sarahbalcombe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2017
    Hello. I am new here. Its been awhile since ive owned chicks. My husband and i built our first coop before we bought our babies. We got them the friday of easter. They didnt know how old they were or what sex they were. We ended up with 6 white leg horns. All very sweet and cuddly. Weve had them almost 3 weeks. Most of their down is gone except for on their heads and a little under belly. Well i think we may have picked 5 pullets and one roo. Not sure yet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chick in the back is the one in question. I thought i picked all female by wings but a friend said she looks like a male because the comb is a little bigger than the other 5. I am letting them out to play during the day in the coop, but they are inside in our living room in a cage at night and when we arent home. We have 4 dogs. One shepherd heeler mix who has already busted the chicken wire and dug a hole and broke one latch on the bottom of the door. Any suggestions on keeping her out? Shes getting in when the chicks arent even in the coop and run. We made a 10 ft enclosed run for them and a coop with two boxes. We only planned on getting 3 but had to get 6. Here is the coop and run.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MaddyPippa17

MaddyPippa17 Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Hello and [​IMG]!!!!!!!

Your chicks are so cute! xx

3. Sarahbalcombe

Sarahbalcombe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2017
    Well thank you!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Sarah [​IMG] Welcome!

I recommend you post some pictures of your coop on this thread asking for some tips on dog proofing it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here/16710 However, I know for a fact the first thing they will tell you is to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth. Chicken wire keeps chickens in but does not keep anything out. Pavers or a wire skirt around the outside of the run should help stop the dog digging under.

I see you found the What Breed & Gender Forum [​IMG]

If you have not already, you might want to check out the Learning Centre: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Teila has given you straight talk. Poultry wire only keeps in chickens, it cannot keep predators(even dogs and cats) out. Given your dog, I think you really will need a strong dog run for your chickens, and have at least 18" high of hardware cloth backing it. , from ground height up 18". This will keep predators like raccoons etc from reaching in and biting off any body part they can snag. They are horrible predators.

Re:white leghorns, both genders grow large combs. The female's combs tend to flop over to one side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by