Hello!

nickylou665

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am raising my first flock of five, they are three weeks going on four! So incredibly new, though I've been researching for almost a year.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have five and they are in my profile picture.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have one of each: Buff Orpington, Buckeye, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Silver Cuckoo Marans, and a "Mystery Chick" that right now I'm guessing is either another Marans or maybe a Barred Plymouth Rock or.... who knows. It's a chicken. Hopefully all growing into pullets and no roosters.

I'm midway through building a coop that will hopefully be plenty of space for up to six or seven chickens, and I'm trying VERY hard to not be tempted by the Easter Eggers for sale locally right now. I don't want to leap right into seven chickens and find that maybe the coop is too snug for seven, and it's probably more practical to start with the size I have and see how things go... but... Easter Eggers... they all look so cute.

Anyway, if I've done the photo thing right, here are my babies at two weeks:

Current names of those in the left column, top to bottom: Kip, Nugget, Atilla the Hen (or Sass)
right column, top to bottom: Dumpling and Poulet.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Google! I've been quietly snooping for awhile now, made a profile semi-recently, and just thought to make an intro post.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I knit, garden, have started to take up ceramics.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live with my significant other, and my two cats (who are very confused by the birds that have suddenly appeared that aren't theirs to play with).

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under nickylou665
frow.gif
Welcome & Congratulations!

Aaaw, cuteness overload!!

Have you checked out the Learning Centre?; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
When your chicks are 6-8 weeks old, you can post individual photos of them at "what breed or gender is this." and get them squared away. Easter Eggers are very nice to have - just sayin'. - not putting any pressure on you.
gig.gif

Thank you! I have been poking through the learning center, there is a lot of really helpful information.

Thanks for the tip about the local threads!

Back
Top Bottom