Hello!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rjs, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Rjs

Rjs In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    I am new to raising chick and I have one that is about 2 weeks old and it has developed a straddled legs that drags behind him, have tried the bandaid treatment but he fall over and won’t try to get back up, any suggestions?

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Rjs likes this.
  3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Rjs likes this.
  4. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    Welcome to BYC! The others have given you great advice! Glad you could join us!

Rjs likes this.
  5. Rjs

Rjs In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks glad to join!

ashlandco likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Google spraddle leg treatment for chicks, and look for The ChickenChick or Fresh Eggs Daily which have good pictures of treatment. I have only had one chick with it, and he wore his bandaid hobble fo 4-5 days. Each day he got stronger. I would use strips of vet wrap now.

If you can post a picture or two of him standing, we can sometimes tell if the problem may be something else, such as leg bone deformity or slipped tendon.

Chick vitamins and a non-slip surface such as pine shavings is best to help him get his footing.

7. Rjs

Rjs In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Update chick is doing better finally got bandit to work but just wondering how long do I need to leave bandaid in place. He is hobbling around and using his wings a lot to help himself balance. He is eating good and drinking plenty but afraid to take it off to soon, any advice?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may check it at 3 days or leave it on for 5 days and remove it, to see if it walks normally. Cohesive tape or vet wrap strips are good to use since they can be removed and replaced easily.

Rjs likes this.
  9. Rjs

Rjs In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Ok thanks I will check it and see. It kinda has a special place in my heart now and I sure want it to be better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: