Hello

KDM0516

Hatching
Oct 21, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I grew up with family members having chickens. I've not had any real experiences raising them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None...we are getting our coop ready for chicks in the spring.

(3) What breeds do you have? What is the best breed to start off with?

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Recommended by a friend who owns chickens and by the Coastal employee who we asked questions about how to get started today.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Photography, hiking, reading, listening to music, family trips/get togethers, hosting parties

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have a husband, three teenagers (17/13/12), one lap dog and a cat. I work full time as a federal employee.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I've gathered some research and this site seemed to have a lot of good information all in one place.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest starting off with a range of breeds - you will soon discover what breeds suit your needs and climate best.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm in Washington state so we have most seasons here, which is why we are taking from now till March/April to prepare our coop and for chicks. I've been doing some research and think the three breeds that would go well for our situation are the Isa Brown's, Rhode Island Red's and maybe the Barred Plymouth Rock's. Prior to buying them though I will ask the sales person for their help if we can't find these breeds. We plan on cooping at night and free range during the day. I'm concerned with the Red's temperate with the other breeds, because they seem to be more bossy than the others?

Hi & :welcome @KDM0516

Great that you could join us all here! How exciting to be planning your new chicken adventures! I’m sure you will enjoy it very much. They are lots of fun & very rewarding too. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help you along the way.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm in Washington state so we have most seasons here, which is why we are taking from now till March/April to prepare our coop and for chicks. I've been doing some research and think the three breeds that would go well for our situation are the Isa Brown's, Rhode Island Red's and maybe the Barred Plymouth Rock's. Prior to buying them though I will ask the sales person for their help if we can't find these breeds. We plan on cooping at night and free range during the day. I'm concerned with the Red's temperate with the other breeds, because they seem to be more bossy than the others?

Welcome to Backyard Chickens from a fellow Washingtonian We have a pretty active thread I will invite you to Plymouth Barred Rock, even Easter Eggers will stand to them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...me-together-washington-peeps.717207/page-4530

E5918ADA-04AC-44CE-84B3-FF08EF3C9259.gif

Hope you find the site helpful!​

Back
Top Bottom