Hello

The Golden Girls

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2019
2BC89DE8-A7B8-4DF6-A03B-F86452A4296B.jpeg
Hi,

Name is Susan, named the flock after The Golden Girls. Naturally there are 4 hen chicks. 2 Barnvelders, 2 Brahmas.

Bought them as a pity buy from TS. Sofia was crying to be heard all over the store well above the general chicken noises and by the time I found the horse halter I wanted I couldn’t stand it anymore.

Anyway, 4 was the minimal so I bought them on condition that we find the loud one.

Have some experience with chickens but not a lot.

Turns out Sofia hollers because she’s blind and has to hand fed. Closer inspection revealed that she is a bit pop-eyed as well as blind.

Here to learn. Any ideas on causation or eye problem’s name welcome. Tips and tricks on getting her to eat something other than soggy bread welcome too. The others will eat their feed, sample dog/cat food etc like normal chicks. She won’t, even wet.

susan.jpg

View attachment 1877902
Hi,

Name is Susan, named the flock after The Golden Girls. Naturally there are 4 hen chicks. 2 Barnvelders, 2 Brahmas.

Bought them as a pity buy from TS. Sofia was crying to be heard all over the store well above the general chicken noises and by the time I found the horse halter I wanted I couldn’t stand it anymore.

Anyway, 4 was the minimal so I bought them on condition that we find the loud one.

Have some experience with chickens but not a lot.

Turns out Sofia hollers because she’s blind and has to hand fed. Closer inspection revealed that she is a bit pop-eyed as well as blind.

Here to learn. Any ideas on causation or eye problem’s name welcome. Tips and tricks on getting her to eat something other than soggy bread welcome too. The others will eat their feed, sample dog/cat food etc like normal chicks. She won’t, even wet.
FARMER CON BALLONS COPY.gif
fast-Farm-Con-BALLON-byc.gif

Hello, Susan, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry to hear about Sofia. I have never dealt with a blind chick. I would have suggested to offer her a wet mash but that isn't working. She needs to eat or she isn't going to make it. Can I suggest you start another thread about her in the Emergencies & Diseases forum for more help?

Back
Top Bottom