Hello

Jan 19, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Our first set of Chicks started in May of 2016 and our first set Keets started in May 2018

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 8 Hens and 17 Guineas.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have/had:
Chickens- Black Austrolorps, Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Silver Laced Wyandottes.
Guineafowl- Pearl Grey, Royal Purples, African white, Lavender, Pied

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
We enjoy watching, listening and learning......also the eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I have gotten lots of information from BYC in the past. We restarted our chicken flock in July 2020 and plan to expand from our current chicken and guinea flocks.

Hi
Welcome I’m extremely new 10 weeks in
I read guineas r as protective as roosters but I’ve also read that they can beat up and kill chickens. What’s been your experience?
I have (think ) 30 hens and if one isn’t a rooster I’m going to be needing a protector
We have raised our guineas and chickens separated. On 20 acres, our guineas roams/free ranges the bottom half of our fields. Our chickens have had the top half....enclosed in 2 acres of tall fencing. Oddly, our guinea girls and guys just visited the chickens from outside but never flew in. We lost that set of hen to weasels. Some of those hens hatched our guineas. We are starting a new flock of chickens. These ladies don't know the guineas. We relocated the hen coop next to the guinea coop. The hens have a large covered run. They socialize through the fence. During mating season (Feb-Sept), our guinea guys can be aggressive to each other over their girls. We are hoping to mix them gently as the warmer weather returns. We do not have roosters....I have heard that guineas and roosters don't play nice. If they don't get along, we may free range on alternate days.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom