hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Professorplum, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Professorplum

Professorplum New Egg

Aug 22, 2010
    Westford
    Hi-- my oldest son has become very interested in chickens. Eventually he brought the rest of us on board. We are a family of five with a huge dog, a cat and now 7 pretty good looking chickens that we picked up at a Milford NH chicken swap. We have built the taj mahal of indoor/outdoor chicken coops and the responsibilities are sitting well with my 11 year old. We have one Brahma (?) Black and white
    one pheasant colored Cochin
    one new hampshire/easter egger mix
    one black australorp
    one black sexling (?) I think that's what we were told
    one rhod island red.
    one amarucana (?)
    They are all hens and are VERY secure from the dog and whatever else roams the woods. I think they have a good thing going here and we are hoping they will be of egg laying age by the end of September-into October.

The thing is---- we want three more. We really made a pretty big coop. A two room shed with a lockable door that goes to a 20ft by 20ft patio area. I think 10 seems like a good number to keep them warm come the winter---we will probably give them a approved heat source....but.... anytone have any chcken that are also in the age range of our guys. (I think we got them in July at about 14 weeks.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] from Ocala, FL.
    Yes, this is how it starts. Just wanted a few and already want more. [​IMG] I started with 6 chicks [​IMG] and now have 18 and one setting on eggs. Might as well start building your incubator now 'cause your gonna need it [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Hello!

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] My kid got us into chickens too! Looks like you're already working on your chicken math. Good job. You'll find lots of people here to tutor you on that subject. [​IMG]

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Welcome from another central Floridian!

7. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    [​IMG] from Connecticut !!!

[​IMG]

8. chicknduck