Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OBnurse, Nov 5, 2010.

1. OBnurse

OBnurse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    North Western Wisconsin
    I am a new member from northern Wisconsin. My husband and I are considering getting chickens next spring. We own 20 acres of woods and have a huge mound septic. We thought we would build a coop near the mound and have a fence surrounding it for the chickens to roam and eat. The mound is covered in clover. We are thinking about building our own coop and getting Welsummer chickens. Unsure how big to go wit the flock and the lay out of the coop. Should we insulate or not and how much ventilation to do. I know it can get cold in the winter up here! Any thoughts or advice for someone who has never had chickens would be greatly appreciated!

Nice to meet you all!
    [​IMG]

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG] Dont know much about Welsummers - but my Dels and my friends Cochins fair well thru Ohio winters with not alot of insulation - but ventilation is key! Good luck! Australorps are very hardy to all wether climates - also good layers

3. OBnurse

OBnurse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    North Western Wisconsin
    Thanks,
    Hey how cold does it get during your Ohio winters? I have never been there. But it can get 30-50 below sometimes up here. And sometimes it will be that cold for a long stretch in January.

Thanks!!![​IMG]

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    OK not that cold - but it well easily go long stretches in the teens or in the single digits

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto