Hello :-)

Soapologist

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
North Queensland
My name is Becky, and I'm quickly falling in love with having chickens!

Hubs & I bought ourselves 50 acres a few months back. Our dream is to become as self-sufficient as possible - raise our own meat & eggs, grow our own veggies, and anything else we can. We have a bit of work to do before we can have cattle, or any other large livestock, but we do have CHICKENS
big_smile.png

We have just this weekend added to our little flock. We now have one Australorp rooster & 6 Australorp hens. 2 are laying, the others are nearly point of lay. We also have some mystery chickens, that I'm hoping some of you will be able to identify for us when I post some photos in the right place.

2 of the mystery chickens - the Nuggets - we bought at a pet expo. There was this big enclosure of tiny fluffy chicks, and all these kids in the way of me having a cuddle, so I bought some, LOL! They were the prettiest tiny grey chicks, and have grown up to lovely grey chickens. They are about 3 months old now.

The third mystery chicken belongs to a friend of mine. She had 2 chickens and got a new dog, and now has one chicken living at our house. She is a lovely girl, the only one that will come and eat her treat of sunflower seeds straight from my hand.

I think I now understand the concept of 'chicken math', as my original plan was to have 6 chickens and no rooster! I figured that would be enough to supply us with eggs and to give us enough to give away occasionally.

I also have 4 cats and one little henpecked (literally) dog. I found this forum thru google and figured I'd better join, because I can absolutely see more chickens in my future
big_smile.png

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

WELCOME TO BOTH OF YOU!!!!

Soon you'll own incubators and will be hatching your own chickens.

... you'll learn how to build brooders and how to add on to chicken coops... ah the possibilities are endless.

So glad you found us...
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom