Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tatersgirl913, Aug 5, 2011.

1. tatersgirl913

tatersgirl913 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    South Central PA
    Hi there! My husband and I have had chickens for about 5 months now. We started with 6 freebies (1 1/2 yr old girls) and now have 11. We lost one of the original 6 which I had named (do people really name chickens or is it just me!?)

I have wanted chickens for some time now but once my son started eating eggs (he is now 11 m/o) I knew the quality of store bought was sub-par so when the opportunity to take some freebies came along we thought it was the perfect chance to start low-cost. We had a 50x60' penned in area where we had 2 deer a few years back. We converted the feed shed for the deer into a hen house which cost $40.00. All toll we spent $54.00 to start raising "the girls" as we call them.

I love watching them roam around our yard during the day and the eggs are THE BEST!!

We also have 4 dogs, Sadie, Walter, Chance and Baron.

Blessings!

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    love the idea of freebies and you got a huge run, so jealous. Im new here too and so cant wait for eggs!

Oh and I named my chickens: shadrach meshach and abednego because one of my coworkers bought a bunch to butcher and he gave me three so I litterally saved them from his oven!

4. tatersgirl913

tatersgirl913 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    South Central PA
    I love the names! Ours thus far are Marty, Mary, Delilah, Johanna, Ruth and Esther. When my "newer" girls get more tame (they are coming around slowly) I will name them once I see what their personalities are.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Tater and welcome! Wow, you didn't have to spend much money to get started. That's great!

It's an addicting hobby......Glad you and the family are enjoying it! Keep an eye on the doggies.....You never know how they will react. Some are great with chickens, and some aren't.

I've got two dogs. An Irish Terrier named Fionna, and a Pom named Cosmo, and they would grab a chicken in a quick minute. It's funny because some of my hens are bigger than the Pom, but he's a little dog with an attitude like a Saint Bernard! LOL

Take care and glad you joined,
    Sharon

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] I have 25 .. they all have names .. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! I too, love watching my girls free range. Although, I need to supervise all of their roaming due to dogs that roam the neighborhood. It's nice to meet you.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by