Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommyrottie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. mommyrottie

mommyrottie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Hi! My name is Nicole. I'm married and have a 7 yr old son that we homeschool. I live in Birmingham, Al. Yes - inside the city limits. I have been going through a bunch of changes this year. I have built a compost bin out of recyled pallets and I'm in the midst of digging up ground for our first ever garden. I think eventually we are going to buy some land somewhere and have a mini farm. We eventually want honey bees and we've been wanting some chickens for a while. My SIL has Buff Orpingtons and I have talked to several people that have some too. I think in the spring we will order some chicks with her from McMurray.

In the meantime, seems that a friend of mine heard about some chickens that had been abandoned. Owner had gotten ill and moved, leaving cats in the house, a dog tied to a tree and quite a few chickens. My friend reported finding several dead chickens, others were flying from tree to tree. He caught several. At first I didn't want to take them because we don't have a coop built yet. My friend then explained that he had a cage large enough to work until we can get one built. So we decided to take a few hens, maybe a roo. We now have three chickens. I'm going tomorrow to get chicken wire to build a fence for them,scratch and feed. I've already fallen in love, or at least heavy like. [​IMG] I just sat and watched them this morning while they ate. I loved noticing the differences in each one. One of them has me a little stumped, though. I'm not sure if it's a hen or a rooster. I guess we'll see in a few weeks or months.

I have already learned a lot on this website. I look forward to learning more and making some friends along the way on this new journey.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

3. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Congratulations Nicole on getting your first chooks and welcome to the forum! [​IMG] So nice that you can give the chooks a new home and some love and attention.

Do you know what type of chickens they are? You will have to post up some pictures for us all and let us know if & when they lay you some eggs!!

It is amazing how quickly your life can change. This time 18 months ago I was living in the city, working a 9 - 5 job with 2 chooks in a coop. Now I am living on a 20 acre farm, working only 2 days a week and I have chooks, sheep, cattle and a new baby turkey & duck!!

I hope that the changes you are making in your life bring you as much happiness as mine have!

4. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011
    I have uploaded some pictures, but I don't know if you can see them. Someone told me earlier that I have to post a certain amount of times to be able to post a pic in the post. So I've been posting all over the place. [​IMG] I was told they were RIR, but I am now convinced that they are mixes for sure. Let me know if you can find my pictures. LOL

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

What a nice thing to do. [​IMG] Welcome to BYC.

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Very glad to have you with us!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by