Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hvalle98, Nov 18, 2011.

1. hvalle98

hvalle98 New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    Hi everyone, my name is Hector and I'm new here. I live in an urban area in Guatemala city and about a year and a half ago, a rooster started coming every single morning to our garden to eat the bread my mom fed the birds with. Later on we found out that a neighbor was raising that rooster for cockfighting [​IMG] but he managed to escape. Now he stays in our garden almost all day long and during the night he sleeps in a neighbor's tree.

I came here to seek help because I am afraid that eventually he'll get sick; moreover he has mites, and when it rains, he gets soaking wet. There's nothing we can do about it because he runs away if someone gets too close.

2. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Thats a tricky one hmmm...Why not give him some treatment? build a small coop/run for him. It doesnt have to be fancy, just a small coop, e.g a small plastic dog kennel for a coop. And maybe get him a partner? Hope that helps,,,,,one last thing could you post a picture of him on the Topic? Anyway welcome to byc. or [​IMG]

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

Hello from VA!

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Hello Hector and [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Is there a way you can trap him? Maybe a trap they use to catch other animals. Then you can dust him and let him loose if that's what you want to do. I'd also suggest worming him. If he eats and drinks with your birds, you could worm all of them. Maybe another option for dusting would to put out a box of sand and DE or something used to dust the birds. I don't know what you have available there. I use Sevin. Just whatevr you have near you for the purposed of killing pests. If the other birds find the box entertaining, maybe he'll dust himself too.

Anyone else with an idea?

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hi Hector! [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

6. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    [​IMG]

7. hvalle98

hvalle98 New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    J's Orpingtons :

Thats a tricky one hmmm...Why not give him some treatment? build a small coop/run for him. It doesnt have to be fancy, just a small coop, e.g a small plastic dog kennel for a coop. And maybe get him a partner? Hope that helps,,,,,one last thing could you post a picture of him on the Topic? Anyway welcome to byc. or [​IMG]

Actually we tried that with a wooden dog kennel but he just wont get inside. We even tried to put corn inside to no avail. And yes, maybe a hen will do the trick...

These pictures are quite new, they were taken about 10 minutes ago:

[​IMG]

And the dog kennel...

[​IMG]

8. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Hi Hector & [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms, CA

He sure is a handsome rooster! I would definitely try to catch him and treat him. The rain probably won't be a problem, but the mites are definitely a problem. Especially if you have other birds.

Good Luck and keep us posted

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Can you grab him at night, when chickens are calm?

Imp

10. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by