Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by evallot, Apr 20, 2012.

1. evallot

evallot New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi,

My name is Liz and I live in La. I have currently 4 delawares, 1 roo and 3 hens. I am looking to increase my flock and would like to know more about raising chicks. I have had my birds about a year now and I bought them around 5 months old. I have visited byc several times and find the site most helpful. I was wondering, does frequent handling of birds when they are young increase their comfortability around people. My birds let me get close, but not too close.

Liz Vallot
    Woven Willow Farm

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    hello and :welcome
    Yes, being around people as chicks does make the older birds a bit more comfortable around people. We used to feed them out of our hand, and now they have no qualms about flying onto my knees and shoulders for food. :lol:
    You can check out your state's thread in Where am I, where are you to find more chicken owners in your area.
    Don't hesitate to ask any questions, and enjoy the site. See you round. :frow

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Hello Liz ! Welcome To BYC ..[​IMG] My Experience is that Chickens have personalities some enjoy human company more than others and they seem to build trust.. If you get them early and handle them a lot they seem more comfortable with it , Those I have adopted later who were not used to being handled seem to prefer not to be.. right from the beginning some chicks seem to like to curl up and cuddle ; ) or sort of and others seem to want to get away from me.. Most of mine know I mean Food so they come running when I am near but few like to have me pick them up .. But I am helping my daughter raise twins babies and a three year old so I haven't tried as hard as I would like to to make them real Cuddly : )

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

6. johnesmith43

johnesmith43 New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    I am newbie on this forum site ..

[​IMG]

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined us

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck, but not all breeds will get friendly just from handling. My EE's still won't have anything to do with me dispite my constant handling when chicks, but that's OK. They lay beautiful big blue eggs. :thumbsup

9. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello and welcome! I only have young chickens and am new at this myself, but I can say that I agree about the different personalities of chickens. Some only want you for your mealworms, haha! But I think they have a much better chance of being tame in general if they have been handled from a young age.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by