Hello!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Orchidsilkie, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Orchidsilkie

Orchidsilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Hi!!! I just joined Backyard Chickens a couple minutes ago, and I have a TON of questions!!!! But I only really need these two answered: What brand of incubator is the best? & I have heard a lot about turning eggs in incubators. What does that mean? Do they have a special tool that flips them like burgers?!?! Or do you reach in and flip them over?! Im so confused..[​IMG] I could really
    use some help.... Well anyway, here's my intro:

Hi! I am a chicken lover! It all started when my neighbor got her chicks, and the UPS truck delivered them instead of having them wait at the post office (i know crazy, right?). As soon as we heard the little peeps, we went CRAZY!!!! [​IMG] Ever since then, i have loved chickens, and am finally getting some of my own!!! My eggs are for my science fair project, it will be really fun since my classmates don't really hang around chcikens that often... Thanks for reading!! I know i'm going to burst if I don't get those eggs soon!! (they are coming in October!)

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Welcome ! I dont have an incubator, I borrowed one frome a friend and its a cheap syrofoam incubator, I think its was called brinsea. Hopefully you will get some answers from other chicken lovers ! Turning them sideways carefully will help balanced the forming chicken. some incubater have one that will turned for you, but will be pricey! you marked on one side X and the other side O so you will know which one your turned on their sides.You only need to do this morning and night. If you dont turned them you will get half developed chicke!. not pretty ! Also a broody hen turns them around naturally! they do this like 10 times a day! KEEP asking questions we all will like to help you!! Have fun! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've used home made incubators for my hatches, but I'm sure the other members will have some suggestions for you!
    Turning the eggs basically mean rolling them over slowly, what we do is make a X on one side of the egg and a O on the opposite side, so it's lying flat and 3-5 times a day we turn the eggs. When the X is on top we turn it so the O is on top. This helps you make sure you've turned them all! We turn them an odd number off times a day, so the eggs don't spend every night laying on the same side. Hens will turn their eggs up to 50 times a day. Many believe it's to make sure the embryo don't get stuck on one side of the egg, but I read recently that the hens do that so the embryo gets moved around in the egg. That way it can get away from it's poo and easily get to all the food in the egg. But for whatever reason, it's important to turn the eggs every day, up 'till day 18, when we "lockdown" and don't disturb the eggs until they've hatched. There are incubators on the market that has an egg turner, so you don't have to worry if you're not going to be around all the time and on time to turn them yourself.
    Enjoy your adventure and I hope we'll see you in the Incubating & Hatching Eggs section!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I have Brinseas and Hovabators, which are both excellent types of incubators, especially for beginners. You can either turn the eggs by hand just like sumi described above or you can buy an automatic turner which does it for you. But the auto turners don't actually turn the eggs completely over, instead they tilt them at different intervals throughout the day.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Orchidsilkie, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I'll leave the incubator questions to the experts as I know zilch about that topic. I wish you the best!!

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & Greetings from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

8. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by