Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by photophreek, Oct 4, 2012.

1. photophreek

photophreek New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    I came across BYC when I was looking for information regarding a strange behavior in one of my hens. As I was looking through the forums and all, I realized that this was the place for me!
    I love all animals but as a kid my mother got a bunch of chickens and a rooster and it was my job to collect the eggs and clean the coop. I HATED those birds!! I thought they were the meanest, smelliest bunch of feathers and I vowed that I would never have chickens. Now here I am worried and babying over a dozen of them! I now think of them as members of the family and most of them have names. We have had our chickens for almost 18 months now and I get enough eggs in one week to take several dozen down to my local nursery/feed store and sell them to the employees there every Saturday morning. The chickens are paying for themselves!

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Welcome! You will find a wealth of information here. [​IMG]

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello photophreek. Greetings from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

5. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    [​IMG] Hello Photophreek...Like you I hated chickens as a kid we spent the summers with my grandparents on their small farm in Northern CA. I unfortunately had to collect the eggs and the roo would come at me and chase me all over the coop. By the time I collected the eggs I was a mess (another story all together) that roo never learned to let me and my grandparents would go out with me at times to see what the problem was and you know that darn roo would ignore me and behave himself as long as they were there.[​IMG]

Now I have 6 hens our roo is no longer with us. I would like to get more hens but at the moment our flock is good. This is a wonderful place to be if you are learning and it seems it is a continuing education process with chickens. they are very cathartic to watch I sit with my in the evening after dinner and thoroughly enjoy watching them interact with each other.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by