Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WalnutRidge, Mar 3, 2013.

1. WalnutRidge

WalnutRidge New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Hi there! I am a newbie to byc and to the raising of chickens. My husband talked me into getting some chickens almost a year ago now. He had them when he was growing up and has been begging me for years, but I used to be afraid of chickens....yes, no joke. We purchase 12 chickens from what we thought was a reputable store. We were told they were egg layers and therefore all female. WRONG! We raised these little chicks in our basement until we had their home ready for them outside and of course when they were big enough to be put outside. But, before we ever got them outside a few of them started crowing!! Turned out that 10 of our 12 chicks were roosters! I was devastated, because I new we had to get rid of them, but I wasn't going to butcher them or give them to anyone who was. I treat all my animals like my children so, like I said I was devastated. I got a hold of the company we bought them from and they gave me 10 more chicks for free to make up for the roosters. Again, they said they were all egg layer breeds and all female. 1 of the 10 was a rooster. So, long story somewhat shortened, we now are the proud parents of 1 rooster from the first flock, his name is Mal and he is a cornish mixed breed and beautiful. We had 11 hens, but lost one recently, so now we have 10 beautiful girls. 2 are from the 1st batch and they are also cornish mixed, one is brown and white, her name is Brownie and the other is all white and her name is Piper. We have 4 silver wyondots (spelling?) their names are Stella, Izzy, Kailey, and Jet. I have 2 black sex links, Jada and Halle. We had 3 Buffs, Daisy, Violet and Lily, Lily is the one we lost.Some people think I'm crazy because I named them all and treat them like pets, but that's how I am.

My husband and I share our home with our 2 cats, Taz and Deacon. If we had the money we would have a whole lot more animals. We have no children, so our animals are our children, so we treat them as well as we can. And now that I'm a member of byc I feel that I will have a better chance at giving my feathered children the best life they can have.

So there you have it, the family on Walnut Ridge! [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, WalnutRidge, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Sorry to hear your first two batches of birds were rooster heavy. That's always a risk of being from stores - I think the birds get mixed up or mislabeled, plus the people working there may not know. Glad they all found a good home, though. I wish you well with all your poultry!

3. wsfarmgirl

wsfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    West Seattle, WA
    We had the same thing happen. 3 of 4 in our first batch were roosters. I became attached to them, but had to find good homes for all 3. We got 4 more the following spring from a Co op and they were 100% girl breeds so we were comfortable to raise them knowing we wouldn't have to go through that again. One just passed away, so mourning today...

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Yes, these things happen. You can't always believe what these feed stores tell you. Live and learn as they say. :) Enjoy the forums!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. wsfarmgirl

wsfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    West Seattle, WA
    Thanks for all the "Welcomes" it's been nice to get into a great forum for chickens.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by