Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggerific, Mar 5, 2013.

1. eggerific

eggerific New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi! I was wanting some advice on my Bantams. I just got then and out of 8, 4 died. The Internet said you shouldn't hold them for awhile…the thing is they have pasty butt! I need to care for them…but how??

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, eggerific, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Sorry to hear about your lost birds! Pasty butt can really wipe out a flock! I think you can hold chicks/chickens of any age - just extra carefully as chicks. What I do for pasty butt is get a bowl of luke warm water and submerse their little behinds in it until the poop loosens up and can be expelled. May take a few minutes but I've actually had the fall asleep in the process. Then, a little vaseline or olive oil around the vent helps prevent poop from sticking as bad (I learned that from Moderator Sumi!!) . Good luck to you!!

1 person likes this.
  4. eggerific

eggerific New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Got any advice??

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What Redsox told you is true. If you have a hair dryer you can use that to hasten the process. Some people have luck adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to the chicks water. You could also do a search for "Pasty Butt." you should see alot of posts pop up there. It's fairly common but, should be addressed promptly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by