1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by caryn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. caryn

caryn New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello, I've been coming to this forum for for a few months because it always comes up when I go searching for info for my new avocation as chicken (and one adorable Japanese banty rooster named Oedipus, for obvious reasons) owner and enthusiast. Had no idea how entertaining they were til I got them. I just posted a new thread though, to the sick chicken section, because I have one. But I am so frightfully new to all this, how do I know when someone responds to my thread? Do I get an email, or do I just keep coming back and checking....? Maybe my chickens know the answer to this mystery.... Thank you! Caryn

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Used to be when new posts were added you'd get an email notice. Then about a year or two ago, they redid the whole BYC server/website thingy and I still don't get notices. I come on many times a day to check - it's aggravating. But I don't want to miss anything.

3. caryn

caryn New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    Washington State
    Thanks for the heads up. Another thing I couldn't figure out was how to add a photo. I can see where to add the photos to an individual post, but not to my profile part...which of course would provide me an opportunity to put my handsome Oeddie's face on my posts. Not a big deal but of course you know how proud we are of our flocks!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Here's a how to for avatars:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-do-i-add-change-my-avatar

If I want to see if anyone replied on one of my threads or one of the threads I've posted on I go into my profile and check "recent activity". You will see when you look at the list of threads you've posted on, on the left, under that little speech bubble icon there will sometimes be numbers in red, for example 2. That means there are 2 new posts on that thread and if you click on the thread there in your profile you will go straight to the new posts. Handy when you participate on one of those never-ending threads! Here's a section that explains how things work here, what things mean, how to do things etc:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/faq

5. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    When you come back online, go to where it says Subscriptions (top right of page, on blue bar, has star next to it) & it'll tell you any responses to the thread.

You can "Subscribe" to any thread you want to follow (regardless of whether or not you post) & you'll get a notification when it gets updated (as drumstick diva mentioned, sometimes the email system doesnt work, but you'll def see it when you log on).
    Once you subscribe, you can also "Unsubscribe" at any time too.

As far as pictures, this link will help https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc

(and for general stuff, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16110/required-suggested-reading-for-the-byc-forum )

[​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, caryn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck to you and your flock!!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Caryn, welcome to BYC.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by