Hello!

Eleanorkwc

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
I hope I am in the right place to introduce myself, my husband, and our flock.

We fulfilled decades of dreams last December when we bought a farm/ranch outside of Kalispell, MT! Yes, we know now that moving to a farm that is at the end of two miles of dirt road and climbs over 1000 feet in elevation in late December is NOT the optimal time to move in NW Montana! It is just the way life worked out, and fortunately two neighbors and the former owner of our home took pity on us and helped us unload an entire 24' moving truck full of belongings into their (and our) 4WD trucks and made multiple trips up and down our mountain until we were all moved in. This is just what folks are like in our neck of the woods and we love it! We left the city life of Atlanta and have not looked back.

One of the first thing my husband did was research chickens and bought three barred rocks and three Rhode Island reds. A week later we were in a local feed store that carried silver laced wyandottes and Ameracaunas. I fell in love with the stripey chicks and the idea of pastel eggs so we ended up with flock of ten chicks total.

We are absolutely besotted with our chickens! Letting them out to free range is better than TV. In fact, we don't even have TV. The Ameracaunas have turned out to be our faves- we ended up with one chicken and one rooster. The chicken, Lil' Brownie, is a dear. She lets us pet her, pick her up, and she has even been known to jump into my husband's lap! She was also the first of our flock to begin laying eggs. Last Friday was the big day!

We found Backyard Chickens when I was looking up acceptable chicken treats. We printed the list and posted it on the fridge, where we reference it frequently. We are excited to be on board and look forward to lively participation!
Eleanor (user name Eleanorkwc)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

welcome-byc.gif

You're living my dream life! So glad you could join us!
hugs.gif

When I grow up/move out, I want a farm out in the middle of nowhere with lovely neighbors, and the space to have whatever animals I ever wanted! If I work hard I know I can someday, and I can't wait!!!

Welcome to the Flathead! I moved here from SW Florida 3 years ago. I love it here. Enjoy your summer and your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom