1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yresim, Aug 10, 2013.

1. yresim

yresim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    I'm new here. I grew up with chickens. I haven't had any for a while because I have been living in apartments where it was illegal. But now that I have a back yard in Tampa, I'm planning to get 2 hens (it's legal, the law changed about a month ago).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm so glad to hear the laws are changing in favour of chicken ownership. Have you decided which breed(s) you are going to get yet? There are some reviews etc on the different ones in our Breeds section. Have fun!

3. yresim

yresim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    sumi: I want an Ameraucana. I was going to get two, but my boyfriend is uncomfortable with blue eggs, so I'm probably going to get a Black Sex Link, just because they are easily available in my area.

And thanks! :)

P.S. Actually, after looking at the breed reviews you gave me, I think I will get a Speckled Sussex instead. I don't want to annoy my neighbors with a super noisy bird.

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck to you on your decision. Such hard choices with all the nice breeds out there :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, yresim, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Glad you are back in the chicken game! Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] does your BF know that the color of eggs doesn't go through to the yolks, etc. Also it not BLUE, BLUE, they are light pastel colors. Eggs taste like eggs, no matter if the shell if white, colored, or spotted.

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    You could just laugh at his silliness and then because you won't have a huge amount of eggs with two hens use it as an excuse to keep them all for yourself :)

Welcome !!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. yresim

yresim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks, everyone!

He does know that the inside of the eggs is the same, he just thinks that blue/green eggs are creepy. I'm sure I'll eventually get him eating them, but I don't want to traumatize him. He's excited about the prospect of keeping chickens with me, and I want to keep him that way. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by