Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kmflamm, Aug 12, 2013.

1. kmflamm

kmflamm New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    I am new to raising chickens and have used this forum to answer the many questions that I have had. I purchased my first chicks on Good Friday of this year and got a couple of Silkies after that. I was able to distinguish the sex of my first chickens rather easy, however, it is more difficult for me to distinguish the sex of my Silkies. Below is a pic of them. The white one is 15 weeks old and the black one is 11 weeks old. I thought that the white one was a hen because it was four weeks old when I got the black one and it mothered it and still does, however, I sometimes think that it is showing some rooster characteristics. If anyone could give me their opinion about the sex of these two chicks I would greatly appreciate it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] silkies are very hard to sex young - breeders usually wait till they are 4-5 mos.. The white one in the photo does seem to have a large comb for the age, so I am tentatively saying it's a cockerel. I can't really see anything on the black one. There are numerous silky threads on BYC, you might put "Silkie thread" in the search box, and post on any that appeal to you. Good closeups of head (showing comb) and profile of the birds would help a lot.

Silkies usually make great mothers but, in many cases the males are empathetic also. By the way, they are beautiful young birds

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kmflamm, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Handsome pair of birds!!

5. kmflamm

kmflamm New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely try posting on one of the silkie threads. The silkies are my "babies". They follow me around everywhere. I am definitely wanting to get more. They are so sweet. I will have to take a profile pic tomorrow. The black does not really have much of a comb.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by