Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mountainky, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mountainky

mountainky New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Glad to have found this group now I know I'm not alone there are chicken lovers everywhere we are just getting started raising chickens we have 4 golden comets hens and one golden comet rooster all pullet 3 months old and one RIR rooster are there other breeds we should try ?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]If you've got the room, the sky is the limit. You could get 1 or 2 of any breeds you'd like to try out. If you like them maybe you will want more.

4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. There are lots of great breeds. Depends on what your looking for - eggs, meat or just cuteness :) The learning center above has several different tabs to go through. Best of luck with your new flock.

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Hey there!! [​IMG]

Ahhh so many breeds to choose from and so little coop room.

I like to suggest chickens that lay cool colored eggs, it is fun to give away a dozen eggs and watch people reaction to the colors....blues, greens, chocolate browns. Marans lay an beautiful dark brown egg and come in a variety of feather colors. Ameraucanas lay blue eggs, also come in a wide variety of feather colors. Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers make beautiful green and blue eggs + are probably the sweetest chickens around. Usually very friendly and come in a huge variety of colors. They are crossbreeds, so like a box of chocolates full of surprises.

Check out the various breed threads and you are sure to fall in love with them all!!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Google the Henderson chicken chart for a great breeds resource. Also, you should have more hens for the number of roosters you have - the boys will overbreed the girls with that few a number. You could add girls, or maybe consider giving up a rooster. Gold Comets, by the way, are mixed breed birds and will not produce consistent offspring, so are not maybe the best birds to keep for breeding purposes.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, mountainky, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! There are about 15 birds I'd love to try! So many great choices!! Good luck in your search.

9. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Hello and [​IMG]!! Glad you joined us!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by