1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by michellehelen, Aug 17, 2013.

1. michellehelen

michellehelen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    bordon hampshire uk
    hello im new to having chickens, I have two Japanese bantam's , I have had them only 4 days but they never leave there coop , should I push them out to make them explore or give them time ? x

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    You could try to lure them out with some food or treats, I would leave the door open and see what happens.

3. michellehelen

Aug 16, 2013
    bordon hampshire uk
    thankyou I have there door open during the day have tried food outside but still not coming out x

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    :welcome :yiipchick yay another Japonese bantams owner! I have 5 right now, my rooster tried to defend his girls from a Fox and lost the battle for himself but he did save the girls. Two of my hens are sitting on eggs right now and I am hoping for a good hatch. They are such fun, loving, and entertaining little birds! I also have larger chickens, ducks, and a goose. Once again, welcome!

5. Rebdavis

Rebdavis New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    I pick mine up and carry them around so they bond with me. That way if i need them to do something im not chasing them around the farm. I carried my chickens out of the cage and set them down away from the cage. They will get used to being out and pretty soon will be waiting at the door for you to let them out. I open my pens gate in the am, let them run during the day and then at 8:30 every night they go to bed and i go out there and close up the pen. Good luck!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. michellehelen

Aug 16, 2013
    bordon hampshire uk
    hello I find backyard chickens a very useful website I have my first two chickens which I got this week !!!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] how old are your birds? If they are young chicks they may have never ventured outside. IF they are very young, they may be too fragile to go out. If they are fully feathered in, you could carry them outside and spend a little time with them. Maybe throw some treats on the ground etc. and let them explore if they choose to. After a time or two, they should be more confident about leaving the coop.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

10. michellehelen

Aug 16, 2013
    bordon hampshire uk
    hello I think they are 3 or 4 months old so still very young thankyou everyone for your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by