hello

freshjohnfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 23, 2013
My wife and I have recently started raising chicken to help cut food cost and have fallin in love with the fun we are having. But with the colder weather our chickens have quit producing. We have a variety of chickens and don't understand it doesn't really get cold here in nc. We have americanas, leghorns, silkies but non are producing anymore. Any ideas?

welcome-byc.gif
The amount of daylight hours plays an important role in laying hens , as the days get shorter, egg production usually lessens and in some cases totally stops. Some people extend daylight hours with artificial lightning. The downside is hens are born to produce a certain number of eggs.. The sooner she has produced that number, the sooner her productive life is over.

Thanks I will keep that in mind what's the average laying age for hens to stop laying like 2 years old?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! With the exception of heavy layers and so-so layers hens can continue laying until they are 8-10 years old, though the frequency of the laying will go down over the years until you eventually only get the odd egg now and then. I used to have an Australorp X hen that still laid 4 eggs a week aged 6 years and she also went broody and hatched chicks twice in her 6th year.

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X3 your girls may just be responding to the shortening daylight hours. If you are seeing a lot of feathers laying around, your girls may also be going into molt, common this time of year and that will slow them down also.

How long does it generally take once a chick breaches the surface of the egg for it to completely hatch

Back
Top Bottom