hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by freshjohnfarm, Oct 23, 2013.

1. freshjohnfarm

freshjohnfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    My wife and I have recently started raising chicken to help cut food cost and have fallin in love with the fun we are having. But with the colder weather our chickens have quit producing. We have a variety of chickens and don't understand it doesn't really get cold here in nc. We have americanas, leghorns, silkies but non are producing anymore. Any ideas?

1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The amount of daylight hours plays an important role in laying hens , as the days get shorter, egg production usually lessens and in some cases totally stops. Some people extend daylight hours with artificial lightning. The downside is hens are born to produce a certain number of eggs.. The sooner she has produced that number, the sooner her productive life is over.

3. freshjohnfarm

Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks I will keep that in mind what's the average laying age for hens to stop laying like 2 years old?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! With the exception of heavy layers and so-so layers hens can continue laying until they are 8-10 years old, though the frequency of the laying will go down over the years until you eventually only get the odd egg now and then. I used to have an Australorp X hen that still laid 4 eggs a week aged 6 years and she also went broody and hatched chicks twice in her 6th year.

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X3 your girls may just be responding to the shortening daylight hours. If you are seeing a lot of feathers laying around, your girls may also be going into molt, common this time of year and that will slow them down also.

8. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Welcome aboard! No heat necessary in NC. We lived in Tennessee and never heated a coop.

9. freshjohnfarm

Oct 23, 2013
    How long does it generally take once a chick breaches the surface of the egg for it to completely hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by