Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vmeversole, Jan 13, 2014.

1. vmeversole

vmeversole New Egg

Jan 13, 2014
    Vermont
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Veronica, and I'm brand new to the concept of keeping chickens. I learned about it not long ago while my husband and I were finding our "forever" home in which we plan to retire. Ways to save money was a huge incentive, but I had no idea that raising chickens was still so modern and mainstream. I guess I thought of "Green Acres" if any of you remember that show. The more I learn, the more inclined I am to make chickens part of my life in a few years. I have so many questions for experienced folks, but I'll read the articles and forums before I ask the same questions that I'm sure every new chicken-parent has. I found BYC initially on Facebook of all places, so if you don't follow them there, I recommend it. It is another great way to find experienced people to ask questions [​IMG]

I'm very excited to have found this website. If anyone has any sage advice that they'd like to leave, I'm more than happy to receive it. Though I'm learning that there is no fool-proof way to raise chickens, and that more than one method will work for most things. It seems like an art.

Happy to meet everyone!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember Green Acres and enjoyed the show greatly!! LOL You have been provided some good links to follow up on. Good reads in the learning center.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. lismarc

lismarc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Southern Maryland
    Welcome, Veronica to BYC.. I'm also new to this site (not to chickens) and I LOVE it. Great articles and advice.

1 person likes this.
  6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Veronica [​IMG] good to see you here with us [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy your chickens [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Don't be afraid to improvise a little :lol: There are indeed lots of ways of caring for the chickens; I find as long as they have food and water anything goes. :p We don't even have proper nesting boxes, but we have little shelters behind which our chickens make nests on the ground. (They used to lay underneath the massive shrubs and long grass in the back of our garden - they were cute little nests but the eggs used to be pretty hard to get to :p)

Enjoy the site!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Veronica, welcome to BYC.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!