Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katieB123, Feb 8, 2014.

1. katieB123

katieB123 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello everyone,

My name is Katie and I live with my family in Washington state. We have a small farm where we raise beef cattle, meat chickens and laying hens. We also have 3 beautiful barn kitties. :)

Right off the bat I have a question and any information would be appreciated. We have (or I guess, HAD) 12 hens, a mixed assortment of banty babies, old hens that don't lay and a couple young hens that we got just last spring (so they have been laying for, give or take 5 months). In the mix with these new hens we got a Blue Andalusian. The reason for this was because we had a wonderful experience with another BA but she unfortunately, and somewhat mysteriously, died. She was doing fine the night before and the next morning we went out to the hen house to let the girls out and she was belly up (seriously) in the corner. So when the farm store had their Chick Days last spring and we saw they had BA's we couldn't pass up getting another one. They really are sweet birds.
    BUT today my dad went out to let the girls out and found this new little Andalusian of the floor of the coop with her head in the corner. He pet her and figured maybe she just wasn't feeling well or maybe trying to pass a big egg. Anyway, after a while he went back in and checked on her and found she was barely breathing and that she had lost all color in her comb. He didn't want her to suffer anymore so he put her out of her misery and she didn't even struggle, I guess she barely even opened her eyes. He also said she wasn't bleeding and it didn't look she had any peck marks.
    So I guess my question is: has anyone else had bad luck with Blue Andalusians? I love the breed, they are so pretty and well mannered, but I find it strange that we have had two of the same breed die at such a young age! I didn't get a chance to look at her myself or feel her stomach for egg bind (I actually just found out a couple minutes ago) so I can't personally say what she looked like, I can only go off what my dad has told me....
    Anyway, any info at all would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Katie

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

So sorry about your birds. I don't know what might have been ailing them. Lots of things can go wrong with chickens and without a necropsy, you may never know.

But I do welcome you to BYC and wish you all the best with all your poultry adventures!!

3. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]! I never had a Blua Andalusion, always wanted one :/.

HS Pye

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your birds, like TwoCrows said, so many things could have been the problem. Were they from the same hatchery? Might be just coincidence with the two you had? There is one pretty long thread on them, you could post in the thread and see if anyone else had similar problems https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/290822/blue-andalusian-thread

5. katieB123

katieB123 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes and info.
    I believe they were from the same hatchery. We got both chicks from the same farm store, and I would assume they use the same hatchery each year. It really is a shame, because every time we went outside to give scraps or corn she'd be at the gate. We could pick her up and pet her... both of them where like that. Really sweet birds I'd love to get another one, I'm just afraid that she'd only last a year and then die. I hate burying my birdies. :(

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hugs to you.... [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry about your hens. I'm not familiar with that breed - maybe it would be better to try and get some from a breeder.

8. kimmommy23

kimmommy23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

I don't know anything about this breed but feel badly for your losses

9. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Hi Katie, Welcome to BYC [​IMG]
    Im sorry to hear about your girl, like Kelsie stated you can check the "breeds" forum and also you may want to read/research under the forum below. Its just like when any thing happens to your cattle, w/sickness its a matter on investigative work and process of elimination as to the symptoms . I hope you find your answers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by