Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BlessedCountry6, Mar 8, 2014.

1. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

We are going to be starting with some chicks this Spring. As a family we are new to chickens but when I was little we had some and I loved them. I was the one who would collect the eggs and take care of the chickens. I don't know what kind they were but they were all solid in color. They were not the friendliest chickens. I have young kids and I am excited to share this with them (though I will be doing most of the work). If anyone has advice on friendly chickens I would love some input. Thanks! [​IMG] Kara

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

The Orpington breeds are really friendly birds...the Buff Orpingtons and the Black Orpingtons. My Black Australorp girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies and a nice soft lap to sit on. Huge lap babies. They are very docile, great layers, great with the kids and a very hardy over all. Great birds to keep!

You might want to take a look at our breeds page to see what people are talking about the different breeds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Also, here is a great external link to a nice breeds page that may help you as well...

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. BlessedCountry6

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. BlessedCountry6

Thank you!! Sounds like you have some wonderful and friendly birds! Thank you also for the links, I am having a lot of fun reading through all the breeds and ppls thoughts! I am not sure If I have seen Orpingtons or Australorp in our local area but I will write them down and check back and see. [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on TwoCrows suggestion of Orpingtons and Australorps, a couple other breeds you might consider are Speckled Sussex and Wyandottes... and if you want chickens more as pets rather than egg layers, Silkies and Cochins are quite popular as pets for children.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Kelsie re: silkies and cochins for kids - cochins even come in bantam size - easier for kids to handle.

7. BlessedCountry6

Hello Kelsie2290,
    I am looking for egg layers and meat birds. Thank you for the suggestions. I will go look into those breeds.

8. BlessedCountry6

Thank You Drumstick Diva!

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

10. BlessedCountry6

Thank you gander007.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by