hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bunniesanchez, Jul 25, 2014.

1. bunniesanchez

bunniesanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Hi im a new member. i am the proud mommy of 9 chickens (sadly one passed away today) and 2 ducks... i am obsessed with my chickens and love watching them play and eat... i cant for the life of me figure out why one of my girls died suddenly... can anyone offer up some possibilities?

thank you!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Aww! I'm so sorry for your loss!! How was she acting? Is it hot? Sudden deaths can be caused by heat stroke. She also may have had coccidiosis but that is unlikely. It could also be a heart attack. I'd get the other chickens on some probiotics just in case. If it is hot provide plenty of shade and water. Also give them cool treats and fans blowing on frozen water jugs.

Good luck with the rest of your flock and glad you joined us!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose them. Lots of things can take a chick or chicken quick....heart attack, egg binding, certain bacterial or viral infections, hypertension, and some birds can hide many issues very well and you don't even know they are ill to begin with. The only way to truly know is to have a vet do a necropsy on them. You would have had to put her in a plastic bad and put her in the frig, (not freezer) and make an appointment with a vet that can do this sort of thing. Some states even do this for free. Sometimes we never are sure why our birds died.

So glad you are enjoying your flock! I hope they continue to bring you great joy.

4. bunniesanchez

Jul 25, 2014
    she was acting just fine this morning. it is hot but their coop is located under a nice shady tree. they had plenty of water and food... i know they like to peck at the ants that go by and they managed to kill a giant lizard yesterday...

what are probiotics and were can i get some?

5. bunniesanchez

Jul 25, 2014
    thank you so much for your reply. i will be watching my other girls very carefully. it just breaks my heart. she was such a beautiful girl to.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Save-a-chick probiotics are great to use. That is so weird about her death! So sorry!!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all chicken obsessed here. Sorry about the loss of one of your birds. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. There is a good article on why a seemingly healthy chicken might die at http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...den-chicken-death-zbcz1404.aspx#axzz38WcX9wCK. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that they're the ultimate in cute. Good luck with your flock.

8. bunniesanchez

Jul 25, 2014
    thank you so much for the article. it did help explain some things =)

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

10. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by