Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Faith Lord, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Faith Lord

Faith Lord In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Hi there!! [​IMG] I currently have 5 chickens and 2 roosters. We are now starting out trying to hatch our own chicks!! I am happily married and have 4 children. I hope and pray that i can actually do this hatching thing!! At first it is very intimidating, but i know with this site and Gods help i can accomplish it!!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch! You might want to stop by this article in our learning center on hatching for any tips or hints that may help you thru your first hatch...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! However 2 roosters is too many for 5 hens. The proper ratio is 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens. Any less, and the rooster can damage or even hurt the hens from over mating. And 2 roosters can hurt or even kill each other. So you might consider rehoming one of them and hopefully your hatch yields lots of hens!!

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! TwoCrows gave you a link to a great hatching guide. Best of luck and keep us posted!

4. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Hi there Faith Lord. Welcome to BYC [​IMG]. Two Crows gave you very good advice. 2 roosters for 5 hens is one rooster too many. Are you 100% sure that you really have 2 roosters? If you are sure, then one of them has got to go. Good luck

5. Faith Lord

Jul 27, 2014
    My big rooster is an Ameracauna and then i have a smaller one and i think it is a silkie!!! None of them really fight or anything, they have been together for about 3-4 months!!! So with them being two different breeds do i still need to separate them?

6. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    That is very unusual that the two roosters are not fighting. If they are not fighting each other then you don't need to separate them. However, you still have a dilemma. One of your roosters will have to separated from the hens or you will have problems like two crows pointed out in his post.Good luck

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. And you're right; with God's help you can accomplish anything (Phil. 4:13). God bless your hatching efforts.

10. Faith Lord

Jul 27, 2014
    what do you mean by the two crows pointed out in his post?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: