1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bark-Loud, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Bark-Loud

Bark-Loud Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    So I have decided to take the leap from just reading all the wonderful posts to joining the community. My family moved to a 2 acre property last year so I finally have room to have the chickens I have always wanted! This past April we built a tractor coop using ideas from this site to house two 3 yr rhode island red girls who needed to be rehomed since their previous owner had developped allergies. They adjusted to their new coop really well but only one was laying eggs. The other wasn't broody....just not laying. After 2 weeks in the coop we started letting them out for some free range time and they loved it! They were so good about following a bread crumb trail back to their coop when it was time for them to go back in. Eventually I got more comfortable and just let them roam all day and they would put themselves to bed and I would lock up the coop for the night. Sadly one afternoon I came home and found one chicken hiding in the coop and a pile of feathers in the yard. I was very sad and so was my lonely chicken. She really didn't seem herself for several days but she was eating and drinking and laying and was not wounded. I think she was scared and lonely. A local farmer was down sizing and needed a home for a "special" hamburg hen who refused to lay her egg in the coop. Rather she'd lay it where ever she was... in the horses hay net, out on the lawn....etc and she was such a good flier the farmer couldn't keep her in the barn. So I adopted her hoping that the usual hamburg bossiness would put her on equal footing with my larger rhodie.The first night they slept apart but by the morning they were hanging out together in the coop. I have been too scared to let them back out of the coop for free range time and just move the tractor every day to fresh grass.
    I was at home depot yesterday and I scored an 8 by 10 shed for an awesome price so I am going to build that and a large fenced in area for my girls instead of the small tractor coop I have now. It is too small for them to spend all their time in ( the fenced part is only 4 by 8 and 2 feet high so my hamburg has no outdoor perching or flying opportunities at all) and I am too scared about whatever ate my other girl in the middle of the afternoon to let them out.
    We have the gravel laid for the new shed foundation but won't get to building it until next weekend. It won't be beautiful like the coops on here but hopefully it will be safe and spaceous!
    A local lady is selling her male and female muskovy ducks and so I was thinking of adding them to my flock I would love to have some baby ducklings! My only concern is that this lady would like me to pick up the ducks this week and I won't have the new coop built for at least 1-2 weeks and I only have the tractor coop to house them in until then. Does anyone have any thoughts on how it might go to have the 2 ducks added in with my Hamburg and Rhodie? The indoor tractor space is 4 by 4 by 4 with a purch raised up 2 feet and a lower purch 6 inches off the ground and a nesting box. I don't want them fighting and am worried it will be too close quarters....

so that is me in a nut shell! any thoughts would be most welcome!

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    A BIG welcome from BYC (and Ohio)!
    We're glad you made the 'leap'.
    Condolences for your loss and kudos to you and your chicken for 'recooping' back to some semblance of normalcy.
    Will look forward to seeing you around!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your RIR. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. X2 on posting in our duck section. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Bark-Loud

Bark-Loud Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    great thanks I will do that now!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great intro! Sorry for your loss!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think people generally free range ducks and chickens together but, don't have them in the same coop. Ducks are very messy and splash out their water and love to be wet - chickens do not. If you don't have a pond on your property - you can get them a kiddie pool or even one of those plastic sandboxes and fill with water. They sure do love being wet. I hope you will put up pictures once the shed is done etc. would love to see your birds as well.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. [​IMG] Definitely post in our ducks section for more help with your ducks.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by