Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AnnaM, Aug 14, 2014.

1. AnnaM

AnnaM New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Norco, CA
    Hi Everyone,
    Today is my first day. I've had hens for 2 years, bought them at the feed store and raised them up. This time around I ended up with a rooster (they were supposed to be sexed) and today I have chicks hatching. I knew it was going to happen I didn't know how crazy I would get. I have to girls sort of sister hatching about 6 eggs. I went out this morning and saw one little one doing well and another that looked as if it had been pecked to death. I don't want to do anything drastic (take them away now) but I don't want them to get hurt. Any suggestions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome back to BYC! [​IMG]

I would remove these babies to protect them. Since you don't know who did the pecking, it is best to brood them yourself. How is the one that was pecked badly? You might put some antibacterial ointment on the wounds and make sure the other chick does not peck at these wounds. Make sure the little guy is eating and drinking. Injured chicks do well on warmed up chopped hard boiled eggs.

You can also post this in our emergency section if the wounds are really bad...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope your chicks will be ok.

3. AnnaM

AnnaM New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Norco, CA
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the chick was dead :( I know that there are 2 for sure and possibly 2 more eggs. I just went into the coop and could hear them chirping away. Should I just take them as they fluff? I don't have a brooder just boxes and lights.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry the baby was dead. Is this broody and her babies separated so that other hens or roosters can't get to them? If you are sure the broody is not responsible for the killing, section her off so she can keep her babies safe, and away from the others. If you think she did this, then you really should remove the rest of them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. AnnaM

AnnaM New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Norco, CA
    Hi. There are two hens sort of "sister" hatching and one is a very nervous sort so my money is on her. I do have a rooster but he can't get anywhere near the nest. I am going to take them, should I do that as soon as they're hatched and fluffy?

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and are here to help.

X2 on Two Crows. If you are going to take them, take them when they first hatch. (When they are fluffy.)

So sorry for the loss of your little one![​IMG]

7. AnnaM

AnnaM New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Norco, CA
    Thanks Mountain Peeps. This sounds like a weird question but do I take them one at a time as they hatch? Will it make the hen crazy? I don't want her to freak out and hurt another one. My plan is to just lift the hen off the babies and grab 'em

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I would try taking them as they hatch. Or is it possible they can hatch inside?

9. AnnaM

AnnaM New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Norco, CA
    Me again. Well, I just took two of the chicks and I feel kinda bad but even if I weren't afraid of them getting hurt I still wouldn't have anyplace to put the mama and chicks together. I put them in a deep box with some shavings. I know they can go for about 72 hrs. before they need food. I have them in the garage, it stays at least 95 if not warmer so I'm thinking I don't need lights. Any thoughts?

10. AnnaM

AnnaM New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Norco, CA
    Just wanted to say thank you to Mountain Peeps and TwoCrows. Your support was so appreciated. I have two sweet little chickies in the garage and they seem to be comfortable and doing well. Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by