Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sarajo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. sarajo

sarajo New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    North Texas
    My name is Sara Jo and I'm fairly new to this website, but it got me through raising my chickens and ducks, especially those first few weeks. I decided to join because I absolutely fell in love with my chickens and they have started laying. I have two Golden Sexlink hens, a male Mallard, and a male Pekin that I bought at Easter time and planned to give away to a farmer friend once they got bigger, but... :) here I am with four beautiful birds months later.
    I'm 27, married, and have two young children. My mom and dad live next door and love the birds as much as we do! We have a lot of fun watching them forage around the yard and watching the ducks in the small pool we have for them. It has become a wonderful hobby and now I have many friends that are interested in them, but mostly for the delicious eggs we get everyday. So far, I have been pretty stingy, but we haven't gotten many eggs, but now that they are both laying, it may be time to share.
    I'm thinking of adding to our very small flock but being unprepared for the first venture I made, I want to make sure I am ready before I do so. I'm in the planning stages of building another coop and deciding on our new members. I also have a dog- she is older(a Jack Russell- so... she's not really "calm"), but I'm scared that she would get rough with the birds and really do some damage, so it's been a juggling act making sure they are separated so the birds can be out of their coop.
    So happy to have a place to share my love of chickens and get some advice and information about raising them, too.[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Your Jack Russell would probably do much more than just damage them. I've been a greeter for some time and most newbies open by saying their dogs massacred their new chickens. I've surprised at how often it's a Chihuahua or doxie doing the killing.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Golden Sex Link is one of many labels used by hatcheries under which their Red Sex Links are marketed, but no matter what label they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are all egg laying machines. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. sarajo

sarajo New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    North Texas
    Thanks! Well, I'm glad that I'm not just being paranoid. :) She loves to watch them but I've never let them share the yard. Luckily my parents yard is right next door, so we put her over there when the birds are out. Guess she'll just have to admire them inside their coop.

5. sarajo

sarajo New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    North Texas
    Oh, and thanks, Michael. I really don't know much about chicken breeds at all, so I appreciate the info. They have such pretty and intricate feathers and I really didn't expect that. Does that mean that they are Red Sex Links for sure, or should I look more into what kind they are? I apologize ahead for my ignorance, but I'm learning a lot!
    My ducks are very fun, but VERY messy. And a little smelly. :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome, and no need to apologize. I'm still learning from other BYC members, despite having raised chickens for the past 50 years. If they were sold by a hatchery as Golden Sex Links, then they are definitely Red Sex Links. Red Sex Links are produced by crossing red gene roosters (Rhode Island Red, Production Red, or New Hampshire Red) with silver gene hens (White Rock, Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, or Light Sussex). The offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, females are reddish). Some of the hatcheries that market these Red Sex Links under the label, Golden Sex Link, include Ideal Poultry, Stromberg's Hatchery, eFowl, and Dunlap Hatchery. Other hatcheries market them under other labels such as Red Star, Gold Star, Brown Sex Link, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, Hylines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc. All these labels can be rather confusing, but no matter which label they are marketed under, they are all Red Sex Links (red gene rooster x silver gene hen), and they are all egg laying machines.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by