Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tierneymegan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. tierneymegan

tierneymegan New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Washington State
    Hey there everybody! Very new to this. Don't currently have any chickens yet myself, but planning on getting some next spring and wanting to learn as much as I can before then! I live out in the county in washington, on my mother-in-law's property. She has 7 hens that I just love to hang out with and help her with. She is planning on getting at least 12 more next year, and our project before that will be to upgrade the coop! It should be a lot of fun, we have an old kids playhouse we are going to use. Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You will have a lot of fun; I guarantee it. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breed in mind?

3. tierneymegan

tierneymegan New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Washington State
    Thanks! Honestly, I can't decide what breeds yet. There are so many! I had no idea all the kinds of chickens there were until recently. Like I said, very new to this!

I believe my BF wants a couple black australorps.. He was also talking about orpingtons. We mainly want them for eggs, the best part about living on his folks' property is having fresh eggs! But I think they are so fun, so I wouldn't mind if we had some just as pets if they weren't good layers.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your BF has good taste in chickens. I've raised Black Australorps for years and they are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, very calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Whatever breeds you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh definitely on the Black Australorps! I keep them as well and they are just super friendly birds! Docile, attention seekers and lap warmers too. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies or a nice soft lap to sit on. Buff Orpingtons are just as friendly as the Australorps. Both are great on laying and nice breeds to keep.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on raising your flock and keeping them happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck on this new journey! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you want to meet some neighbors put "Washington thread," in the search box. Washington state has a very large, fast moving thread. The people are very helpful and can probably give you any information you need, ie., handling climate, breeds that do best in your area, best places to get feed/medications.

Also you may find people in your area raising the breeds you want to buy - rather than getting them at a feed store or hatchery.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. tierneymegan

tierneymegan New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Washington State
    Thanks everyone!!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by