hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nicolabe, Nov 16, 2014.

1. nicolabe

nicolabe New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Cumbria, England
    Hi all, very new to keeping chickens and this site has been great help! I have four rescue chickens coming Tuesday so have spent all weekend converting a big stone shed for them! Nothing as amazing as some coops I have seen on here though!
    Just a quick question tho, do many of you make or buy toys or something for them to play with??

Nicola

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I don't really give my chickens toys. But, I do give them treats every once in a while. My birds love eating mealworms, watermelon, and many other foods.

1 person likes this.
  3. nicolabe

nicolabe New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Cumbria, England
    I can not remember having toys for them when I was small but someone mentioned it and I wondered if they should have something? I just know this is going to be great for advice when I get stuck! :)

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. The only toys mine ever liked involves treats.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I like to provide ladders, mirrors, ramps, hanging cages for greens, you can get an empty peanut butter jar and drill some holes in it, fill with seeds, put the lid back on and let them roll it around to get the seeds out. But watch out, they are smart and will empty one of those in short order! LOL

Enjoy your soon to be new flock! If you have any questions after you get your birds, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

My girls have an assortment of toys ranging from mirrors, roosts, stumps, ladders, hanging greens, leaves and dirt. Their favorite thing in their entire run is an old wheelbarrow. I filled it with dirt and they LOVE it!
    [​IMG]

Here are some ideas (photos courtesy of fresh eggs daily.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I don't personally give my chickens very many actual toys. Mostly, I give them favorite treats, like bread, mealworms, scratch grains, watermelon, moistened chicken feed, and certain greens. They have plenty of fun scratching around in their run, or outside during supervised free-range time. I have heard of people hanging certain "treat balls" or just whole plants for their chickens to play and peck at, but have never tried it myself.

Not necessarily a "toy", but one thing that I've found my chickens particularly enjoy are lots of roosts to jump on. They always like getting to the highest place and flying back down again.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can buy them some of the parrot toys - they stand up to strong beaks. Give them a box open at both ends and they will explore it. Some will even push and chase a ball. The Kong toys for pets that can be stuffed with something like grapes or peanut butter, etc. will keep them busy also.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by